Tuesday, August 25, 2009

social networking/ web 2.0

Week 5 lecture was presented by Adam on New Media, Social Media and the idea of web 2.0 .
He first went through how the internet used to be a way for people to share ideas with each other and communicate with others who have similar interests. While this still occurs today, the net is full of new virtual communities, an ego-centric social network where the focus has moved away from groups of people with common interests and settled on people posting about themselves.

The idea of web 2.0 and how the internet is all about me is something that both excites and frustrates me. Like the fellows from the twitter cartoon we watched I get annoyed that I suffer this constant barrage of mundane info from my friends, but I guess I put myself in this position by signing up in the first place so who am I to complain ?

We're asked what would happen if facebook or myspace were to disappear tomorrow?
I guess my inner voyeur would be a little disappointed, no more scoping babes when I've got nothing else to do... But these networks for me are a little redundant. Fortunately I post on a number of very active forums that house a lot of people who share the same interests as me and I'm treated to the information and discussion I want to read without the dribble ( not to say it isn't interesting from time to time). And the people I don't speak to often on these forums are just a click away on my msn or phone now that everyone is on a mobile cap they will never reach.
I'd suggest there'd be a lot of very lost individuals without this little outlet they have and the convenient way they can keep a tab on their friends and within days we'd have an alternative.

No comments:

Post a Comment