Tuesday, August 25, 2009

something i'll never understand...

Yesterday in the tutorial we checked out some online worlds , most of us got involved in Activeworlds. Having never engaged in a 3d chat program before ( Outside of WoW ), I was pretty disappointed with how it all plays out. You log into an awfully rendered 3d world, presumably fly around chatting to people you ( for the most part ) don't know and build up some sort of reputation and potentially build a house or buy yourself nice things.

Now I've spent far too many hours in the World of Warcraft to judge someone for sitting in front of their computer pretending to be someone else but...


This seems to be a way for people who are so unsatisfied with their life they feel the need to project their ideal image of themselves onto the internet for nothing ( or very little) in return. I make the comparison to WoW as it's the closest I have, and as hollow and insignificant as they may sound the achievements and sense of accomplishment one can feel in a game knowing they are better than someone else , or having bested a challenge laid out to them by a developer seems to far outweigh anything I could hope to feel by purchasing a couch for my imaginary house or deciding on my skin tone and which one of Dennis Nedry's shirts I'm going to wear *big breath in*.


/rant.


No comments:

Post a Comment