Thursday, August 27, 2009

quiz questions

I'm a little late on this one;

Tutorial task for week 4.
To try find out the answers to these questions without Wikipedia or Google... I tried my best...

1. What did Alan Turing wear while riding his bicycle around Bletchley Park?
He wore a gas mask
I Popped this into ask.com and actually received another student's blog as the first result and thieved it from there. I think they used
alta vista )

2. On what date did two computers first communicate with each other? Where were they?

Sept 1969 – First node at UCLA

Oct 1969 – Second node at Stanford – They communicate for the first time

Searched in PCWebopedia - which im 90% sure just searches in google for just their url. I'm going to pretend I didn't notice the likeness.



3. What is Bill Gates’ birthday and what age was he when he sold his first software?
Born on October 28, 1955. I could only find that he created his first software when he was 13, not necessarily sold?
Microsoft.com , a little boring.

4. Where was the World Wide Web invented?
Switzerland.
yahoo! Answers

5. How does the power of the computer you are working on now compare with the power of a personal computer from 30 years ago?
In June 1979 - Apple Computer introduces the Apple II Plus, with 48 kB memory, for US$1195.
2009 - Using a 13'' Macbook Pro 2.53ghz dual core, 4gb RAM , 250gb SATA drive etc US$1499

Typing out that price is always a little depressing - apple.com and another ask.com result.


6. What is the weight of the largest parsnip ever grown?
8 pounds 6 ounces.
A simple lycos search led me to http://www.vintageassessments.com/vd/rawf_2003.html

7. When did Queensland become a state and why is the Tweed River in New South Wales?
Became a State on June 6, 1859. It separates QLD and NSW and I couldn't find info to suggest it lied in/belonged to either state.
Got from my brother's high school Jacaranda atlas, sitting on the table in front of me for some unknown reason.

8. What was the weather like in south-east Queensland on 17 November 1954?
Wet, Rainy, Cyclonic.
I asked my Dad.

9. Why is is Lord Byron still remembered in Venice?
I succumbed to wiki for this one after a bit of searching ; I could only really find some info on him naming the Bridge of Sighs in Venice and also google returned another Griffith NCT student's blog who had;
"He was a leading poet, and commonly known as the "Don Juan De Marko" of Venice, for his romance and antics with women." , Not sure where she got that from though.
Wikipedia/Google

10. What band did Sirhan Chapman play in and what is his real name?
Black Assassins and his name is Stephen Stockwell.
Fantastic.

No comments:

Post a Comment